Tuesday, January 17, 2012

1/17/12 Tuesday Prayer


Dear God:

You are mysterious and unknowable;
Found in vastness and smallness;
Specific and vague…

Yet, sometimes I feel like I know and understand you so much better than I know people.

(And sometimes I have to remind myself – in the oddness of my silly brain that forgets to honor and forgive - “I am ‘people.’”  )

The fact that you are, somehow, all these things makes you, somehow, more predictable.  The unpredictability of calls and resurrections; of nature and creation; of the seen and unseen; the miracles and miracles and miracles and more…
These are the things of which you are.  They may be surprising but not really surprises.  We expect these things from you.

But, people…

The colleague who is so much more than you knew…
The friend who has hidden so much…
The neighbor you were just sure you didn’t like…
The brilliant family member who chooses so poorly…
The evil a good person does…
The sacrifice a stranger makes…
The moment you look in the mirror and see in to the heart of the person standing there…

(“I do not understand my own actions. 
For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.”
It’s not always - sometimes not - a good day when some things make sense. 
There are the days that compliments shine like stars out of our eyes and the days they bead on the surface, repelled.)

Love us.  Please, love us.
Open our eyes to it…

And after the teeth-grinding, stomach-churning, soul-exhausting agony of it all
Help us
Laugh
Our
Way
Into something like…

A miracle.  Something like…

An amazed…

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. This is a prayer from a new perspective for me. I appreciate your insight so much!

    ReplyDelete